We’ve been a part of the Westfield CSA (community supported agriculture) group for several years now. Since our farmer also delivers to local farmers markets, we think his shares are pretty representative of what other organic farmers will be bringing to their markets. Check out what we got so you can see what your farmers will have this week!
This week we found cabbage, onions, regular and cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, carrots, red leaf lettuce, potatoes, bell peppers and eggplant in our bags.
Since fall is right around the corner, these potatoes are going to turn into potato soup here.
Check out this recipe like I will this week:
Potato soup prepared from chicken stock infused with garlic combined with sautéed onion, cooked and pureed potato, cream, whole milk, coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper. Served warm and garnished with grated fresh parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley.
25 Garlic Cloves, peeled
6 cups Chicken Stock
2 tablespoons Butter
1 chopped Medium White or Yellow Onion
2 Large Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup Cream
1/2 cup Whole Milk
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Grated Fresh Parmesan Cheese
Chopped Fresh Parsley
1. Put three cups of stock into a small saucepan and boil the peeled garlic for 15 min, or until soft.
2. Remove garlic and with a low temperature reduce the stock to a concentrate.
3. In another saucepan, melt the butter and sauté onions until soft.
4. Add the remainder of the stock and potatoes to onions and cook until soft.
5. Once the potatoes are cooled puree the potatoes then return to heat adding the garlic and broth concentrate.
6. Stir in milk, cream and salt and pepper to taste.
Copyright, You Don’t Know Jersey, LLC (2010-2020)