The editors of YDKJ are happy to bring you the first in a series of articles where we each discuss our favorites in a particular category.
Part one of the series: Hamburgers.
Price is no concern, location of restaurant is not an issue, fast food or sit-down type store does not matter.
And, now in no particular order, here are our picks.
Alice’s Top Three List:
- 1/3 Pound Classic Smashburger. I love everything about the Classic Smashburger. The egg bun is soft and chewy as is the multi-grain bun (which is hard to do with whole grains) and doesn’t fall apart as you make your way through the burger. The meat is just the right amount for me. I don’t like burgers with tons of meat, I like to taste the toppings and be able to eat it without a ton of it falling apart. The sauce and meat are so salty and delicious. Toppings are always fresh. Simply fantastic.
- 1/4 Pound Wendy’s Single. If I have to pick a fast food option when we’re driving somewhere and don’t want to stop and eat somewhere, I’ll always pick Wendy’s. Wendy’s buns are amazingly soft and fresh for fast food. The toppings are always first rate. And, most importantly, the sandwiches don’t seem to fall apart as bad as other fast food inside the wrappers.
- My own. OK, OK, not many people have had my hamburgers and they’re not for sale. But, I try to mimic exactly what I like in a burger and I’ve gotten pretty close. I toast the buns. I carefully and tenderly shape the meat so it stays easy to bite into and soft while adding salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. I like to add avocado, bread and butter pickle chips, deli American cheese (tastes better than the wrapped slices) and catsup. Yum, I’m hungry now!
Donald’s Top Three List:
- Smashburger – This burger is juicy, salty perfection. It is so good, that it blows away the french fries and anything else you may be eating with it. It’s so juicy, you will need to make sure you have napkins handy after every bite. The egg-bun adds to the unique flavor as well. I would eat 2 if I could, but since that is too much food, I get the 1/2 pound Classic Smashburger.
- Fuddruckers – 1/2 pound Bacon Cheese Burger. This burger is all around burger greatness. Big and complete. Fuddruckers says they have the World’s Greatest Hamburgers and right after I eat one, I always agree with that statement.
- Cheeseburger in Paradise – The mini-cheeseburgers meal which consists of 4 of them with fries is a masterpiece. greasy and sweet with very tasty french fries as well. Their name sets the bar high for their burgers and they deliver.
Ed’s Top Three List:
- Smashburger – It’s a trifecta! A newcomer has risen to the top. What a great burger. They use the old style method of using a press to “smash” the burger down on the grill. This gives the burger a nice texture. Wonderful taste and run-down-the-chin juicy. I think they are salted just right though some people think they overdo it. Egg bun always fresh. They also have a multi-grain or onion bun. Loads of topping to choose from. Every time I take a bite I am sad that it is closer to finishing the burger. They must be doing something right as they are opening new sites all the time.
- White Castle – Sliders, Belly Bombers, Rat Burgers. I am a Craver. These burgers are so distinctive. Do I really need to write anything? The perfectly square burgers with the five holes that are cooked on a grill with the onions. A perfect little package. What’s that sound? Ah yes, my stomach. Some people say do not eat after 6:00 PM. Crazy talk!! You know a burger is good when they make a candle with the scent. They are so good that the YDKJ staff is thinking up a White Castle themed outing. Stay tuned!
- Diner Burger – Is this cheating because I did not pick a specific place? Maybe. But New Jersey is dinerland. Your average diner “Burger Deluxe” has always been a favorite of mine. Diners just seem to get it right. They are usually pretty big and are always cooked fresh. It is very rare to get a bad burger in a New Jersey diner. And the toppings you can request are pretty unlimited as they have so much stuff. Burger on an English Muffin with pickles, onions, chili, and mushrooms, with maple sypup poured on it? No problem. (I haven’t eaten this but I’m sure it can be requested!). Some examples of places that get the burger right are Nutley Diner in Nutley , Meadowlands Diner in Carlstadt, and Yellow Rose in Keyport.
Copyright, You Don’t Know Jersey, LLC (2010-2022)