Video ABC 13
Carjackings are up in New Jersey, especially in Newark where there were 337 last year as opposed to 290 in 2010.Here is information along with a list of key things to remember from smartmotorist.com in case you find yourself in this situation :
About Car Jacking
Car Jacking is the taking of a motor vehicle in the possession of another by means of force or fear. Security conscious drivers are less likely to be a victim of car jacking than those who are careless. The crimes can take place at any time but more often take place at night, and are committed by young males. Top spots for car jacking include intersections and the parking lots at malls, apartments, businesses and schools. No matter where you are, you are always at risk.
The following precautions will greatly reduce your chances of being victimized:
- Reduce your chances of being carjacked by walking with purpose, and stay alert.
- Approach your car with the key in hand. Look around and inside the car before getting in.
- Park in well-lighted areas, near sidewalks or walkways. Avoid parking near dumpsters, woods, large vans or trucks, or anything else that limits your visibility.
- Never leave valuables in plain view even if the car is locked. Put them in the trunk or out of sight.
When on the Road
- Keep doors locked and windows rolled up, no matter how short the distance or how safe the area.
- Look around, especially at places where you slow down or stop, such as garages and parking lots, intersections, self-serve gas stations and car washes, highway entry and exit ramps, and ATMs.
- When coming to a stop, leave enough room to maneuver around other cars, especially if you sense trouble and need to get away.
- Avoid driving alone, if possible. Travel with someone, especially at night.
- Don’t stop to assist a stranger whose car has broken down. Help instead by driving to the nearest phone and calling police to help.
- Always keep your car well maintained, and make sure you have plenty of gas.
If It Happens To You
- If the carjacker threatens you with a gun or other weapon, give up your car. Don’t argue. Your life is worth more than a car.
- Get away as quickly as possible.
- Contact the police immediately.
Remember – Don’t argue. Your life is worth more than a car.
Copyright, You Don’t Know Jersey, LLC (2010-2022)