With the new Avengers movie coming out, I decided to write my second similarities & coincidences article. I really liked that there were so many connections between the 2 films!
One of my favorite television shows this year gave me the opportunity to make some videos. It was a good experiment that will help me make more in the future.
I love Film Festivals and with this year’s Garden State Film Festival I had a chance to interview actor and artist James Wilder.
- Getting to photograph one of my favorite bands is always exciting. Getting to see that band sign to a major label was also exciting. Getting to go on tour with them an document it for a few days in the Midwest? Well that was beyond exciting. As a photographer you dream of the kind of access I had. To be able to document it in pictures was a dream come true.
- As soon as I saw the tape creations of Jersey City artist Kayt Hester I was hooked. This artist creates these amazing portraits of people, animals and captured moments with tape? Myself, as well as many people, thought for sure these were paintings at first glance. She celebrated 10 years of tape art this year and I cannot wait to see the next 10. I wanted to meet with her for an article and came away with an awesome interview. Even better I came away with a new friend.
- I had the idea that I wanted to get to know some New Jersey musicians by the music that they listened to. So I came up with the new series New Jersey Musicians With Their Record Collections and I am really enjoying it. I visited Conor Meara of Roy Orbitron, Jeff Marino of The One and Nines, and Brian Erickson of The Paper Jets so far. Each visit was unique and I got to know each a little better by the time the visit was over. I think it is fascinating to learn about the music the musicians love.
- My 1000th article was posted this year and it turned out to be one of my favorites of the year, too. Booskerdoo Fresh Roasted Coffee Company asked us if we’d like to watch them roast their coffee beans and we jumped at the chance. We learned a lot about coffee production that day. We also learned a lot about how a local NJ business works and succeeds.
- To say that The Front Bottoms were a big part of my year would be an understatement. Going on tour with them was the highlight of my year, website-wise and personally. After they were signed by Fueled by Ramen, I screwed up the nerve to ask about following them a little while on their Fall 2015 tour. Now, who else can we tour with in 2016?? I think I’ve become addicted to the excitement of touring.
- The YDKJ Burger came about because I (again) screwed up the courage to ask someone about it. I guess that’s a theme to my pride in 2015? We wanted to celebrate our fifth year as a site in a very special way and our friends at Steve’s Burgers in Garfield came to mind. Steve was immediately into it and we got to work splashing it all over the internet. The burger was fantastically delicious. It was also tremendously popular and very very special to us.
3a. Finally, there’s an article that I wish I didn’t have to write this year. We lost a very good friend in 2015 and it’s not an exaggeration to say that we think about him all the time. Nick Barritta was a writer for us, he was the champion of our fantasy football league and he was a great friend. We love and miss you, Nick.
Copyright, You Don’t Know Jersey, LLC (2010-2022)